Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 07/25/2018 in Posts

  1. Now got an 1897 O .N E penny (F147) courtesy of Bob @RLC35 I'd estimate at EF. Nice coin and another Freeman currency type box ticked.
    6 points
  2. The coin below is the most extreme example of this type that I have managed to find, It has a doubled line at the bottom of the O in ONE, and this is the aspect that is most evident on all the examples that I have so far come across, but this particular coin also shows a partly doubled line at the top of the O. The design of O in this font type is slightly elongated from top to bottom, with fatter slightly less curved sides than are to be found at the top and bottom of the O. Its clear that the inner extra line at the bottom is straighter than the curvy bottom of the O itself , and this suggests to me that the inner line is the side of a 90 deg. rotated O showing below the over stamped correctly positioned O, its not a rare variety as I have found it on Rev. Freeman J pennies from 1875 to 1880, though It does seem a little scarcer on the 1878s than the other years, but you can only find it on Royal Mint coins, and not at all on Heaton Js. Its missing on the 1876, as this is a Heaton only year, and I haven't found any so far on the 1881s that I have looked at ??. As its found covering so many years, and indeed even can be found on proofs, it suggests that it was present on one of the master dies, with many working dies being made from it all carrying the same error. Your thoughts .
    2 points
  3. Of course, die wear can manifest in all manner of different ways. For example, note the way the 9 on this 1891 penny tends to lack a tail and runs into nothing. That's pure die wear:-
    2 points
  4. 1794 guinea, EF or possibly a bit better. Looks nicer in hand without the flash.
    2 points
  5. I would have a think first and would send it back if its not right there is know confrontation if you bought it from a dealer .Your collecting interest may change in the future and might then have to take a loss ,should you sell it. There are plenty coins to choose from ,unless its a scarce one and better to have ones your happy with. If you are happy though it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks
    2 points
  6. I agree Peck, that coin is AEF. There is too much remaining detail for it not to be. Distinguishing between die wear and actual wear on a coin surface is an art form in itself. By the way, go on, be a legend
    2 points
  7. I'll channel my inner Basil and imagine that I'm dealing with the seller of the "Fawlty" coin in this manner:
    1 point
  8. Keep smiling and remember they are only coins Removed the Quote for Madness ....if it seems a bit random
    1 point
  9. In a sense, yes. For example certain coins in certain years are known to have die wear problem. I'll just take the 1906 penny as a prime example. The reverse of the 1906 has a reputation for die wear, and mine is no exception. It's otherwise EF with some residual lustre, but the reverse only looks fine in places, especially parts of Britannia. This is in addition to what Peck says above, which I totally agree with. Take a look:-
    1 point
  10. You have already been a "Forum God" for so many years. "Forum Legend" is already a downgrade.
    1 point
  11. I had a short break in the Netherlands and been to The Hague on a day trip. The entries for the "World Sand Sculpting Championship" were on open display. Winner of the World Championship 2018!
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...