Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 10/13/2022 in all areas

  1. I see there's a nice rare commemorative version too!!!!
    2 points
  2. Methinks you should have attended
    2 points
  3. Better get ready to cut some big checks for a couple. I have only the matte, and will have to check the type and an exceptional 2 + A proof that was as stated graded Proof 67* Red Cameo. The latter is not considered VIP Record, but picked it out based on its superior appearance and not sure I would exclude it despite the type. I have to say it swayed me strongly and got it along with a wonderful proof halfpenny of same date that graded similarly.
    1 point
  4. Interesting. From my notes I now have the following variants for the 1953 farthings: 1 + A 1 + A VIP proof 1 + A matte proof 1 + B 2 + A 2 + A proof 2 + B 2 + B proof 2 + B matte proof 2 + ? VIP proof (the variant from this thread) The £6,500 listing you mention supposedly included a 2 + B VIP proof, but I'm not sure if there are any features of the coin which would make it differ in any way from the usual 2 + B proof, so I'm not including that on the list above. I don't know if matte proof variants exist for 1 + B and 2 + A. The 1 + A and 2 + B both sold through Heritage (https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=farthing+1953+matte+proof&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515). Looks like I'm going to have my work cut out if I want to acquire all of these variants. 😧
    1 point
  5. https://www.noonans.co.uk/auctions/archive/lot-archive/results/235221/?keywords=1953+VIP+proof+set&discipline=&category=&date_on=&date_start=&date_end=&lot_no= The farthing is described as "Freeman 1+A (not listed as a proof)". I think the George VI-type bordered penny was one of the main interests of this set. It went for £4200 hammer. But to pay £6500 for a set in 2021 from DNW described as having a superior finish but without any rare varieties and having the normal case shape would seem to be a big leap of faith.
    1 point
  6. I was poor when I was young.I worked hard all my life, and now I am old.
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...