Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Peckris 2

Coin Hoarder
  • Posts

    3,676
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    176

Everything posted by Peckris 2

  1. Perhaps "shelf" was AI's interpretation of what Arabia was standing on?
  2. I don't believe there was a Roman goddess with 'Shelf' in her name!!
  3. If I had to make a semi-educated guess, I'd say it could be a crude provincial imitation of an official Roman denarius.
  4. You want to talk to @1887jubilee who knows more about the 1887 JH coinage than anyone I've ever met.
  5. He would have said something like "I remember the old mismatics under Obama - they were rubbish, fake."
  6. Have you given up your market stall?
  7. Having owned couple of acid bathed coins I agree with Rob. Acid doesn't shear off the main design leaving the original thickness - it attacks on all axies, leaving a much thinner coin with the elements of all the original design still clear enough to see, including the legend.
  8. Maybe it was just me, but many of the images did seem almost identical. I didn't complain, but then you made the remark about a lack of responses, so I just theorised about why that might be? Good luck anyway
  9. My 2009 first edition has some colour pictures it's true, but the majority are black and white. Is this new edition all in colour, or is it the same as the 2009?
  10. I found maybe 3 or 4 as a schoolboy in the late 60s, and only because few people knew about it (an issue of Coin Monthly in 1968 first drew my attention to it). Sadly my examples are in average circulated condition - high grade examples seem few and far between.
  11. I was referring specifically to this thread, not your others.
  12. Washing works with silver but not with bronze unfortunately. You could try bathing it in light olive oil for a few days but not for too long.
  13. I rather think the silence may be more down to the sheer flood of posts and pictures you've made just recently? I got halfway through yesterday and then gave up.
  14. It's an acceptable example, but shame about the green.
  15. But ... but ... I AM Spartacus!!
  16. I stand corrected, but there was a big change in the 1880s so in that sense my point stands. but
  17. Your coin is not the "normal pairing" apparently (from those pictures), but shares the same pairing as the I over T - which suggests that more than one die was used for that pairing.
  18. Crucifixions weren't done on a cross but on something that resembled a capital T !
  19. Very popular. I remember as a schoolkid in the late 60s that Whitman folders and Sandhill cases were THE main holders for coin sets - the Whitmans for date runs, the Sandhill for type or year sets.
  20. "During the Victorian era, coining presses were entirely mechanical. " Really? I thought that around 1882 they changed over to electrical, which is why virtually the entire 1882 penny mintage was done by Heatons while they were converting?
  21. yes, now I think it's 5+G which makes me doubt what mine is (my picture is a blow up of a lifesize scan, so it's not clear). However I think mine is more likely to be 5+G also, as the features for Reverse E simply don't ring true.
  22. I have the Obverse 5 1861 halfpenny (the dink in the forehead is the giveaway), but pretty sure the shield and lighthouse are different. In my database it's listed as 5+G which means yours would be 5+.E ?
  23. The 1887 shilling is arguably the most common Victorian coin, even in high grade - the sixpence is also very common but at least you have two types to collect.
×
×
  • Create New...