Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

1949threepence

Expert Grader
  • Posts

    8,081
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    262

Everything posted by 1949threepence

  1. Again, thanks very much for that useful info @kildonan. Much appreciated.
  2. I know they do, Peter. I think we'd either drive up, or get the train, on the day. Problem with the train is that whatever route we decided to take from here, would necessitate at least one change. My current favourite is to change the once, at Peterborough. Are you going?
  3. Seriously thinking of going this year, and may well make purchases. However, I'm wondering if it's best to armed with a wad of notes, or whether dealers are happy to accept a debit card payment. From what I've heard in the past, notes are better, but unsure as to what payment medium is generally preferred/acceptable. The other point is whether or not it's on the ground floor, and are there seats placed at convenient intervals? My partner would quite like to come with me, and because she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, can't do stairs or stand for long periods of time. Needs to sit at reasonably frequent intervals, although only for two or three minutes at most. If not at ground level, is there a lift? Also, is anybody else on here planning to go, either as a visitor or a dealer? Thanks in advance
  4. They are very hard to find in top drawer condition. I got mine in a partially completed Whitman Folder of threepenny bits, predominantly worn specimens, apart from the 1960's, but with this really nice 1948. Not, however, as nice as Mick's. Never realised before that the 1946 and 1949, were specifically minted for the West Indies, so thanks for the info. Knew the 1950 and 51 pennies were.
  5. There were nearly 7 million of the 1927 old shield reverse issued, but as ozjohn says, only 15.000 proof versions of the new shield reverse. I bet the owner did fall on hard times. Either that or it was stolen and the thief just thought it was an ordinary halfcrown. The term "impaired proof" comes to mind.
  6. That would make sense. For it to be a 9, they'd have had to use an 1849 die, which would have entailed re-cutting the 4 as well. No evidence of that.
  7. I'd say that was almost certainly genuine.
  8. Uncertain, although I don't think it's a 7 - the 8 over 7 has a very distinct look which that digit doesn't appear to have.
  9. Only if we hold our nerve.
  10. First time ever that England have won one !
  11. I can only see it going one way, David. Not England's way......we will see. Hope I'm wrong. Crunch time. ETA: So pleased I was wrong. Well done England
  12. I knew, I just knew Columbia would score in injury time.......
  13. In fact I have now purchased the new 2016 edition of Freeman's "The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain 1860 to 1970", as a bargain £7.50 off e bay. Turning instantly to the 1860 types on pages 29 to 30, I note that in fact type 10A does not exist, and can only conclude that dnw have made it up. Unless anyone knows to the contrary?
  14. Sorry cocked up the post - ignore and see next post
  15. Looks useful:- https://coinhunter.co.uk/
  16. Latest news does not sound good. The Winter Hill and (I think the guy said Scout Road) fires have combined, with increasing wind strength. There is heavy rain in the South West of England, but it seems it's unlikely to make much Northwards progress.
  17. Their careers have followed almost parallel paths, although they are very different characters.
  18. Could it possibly be a pattern penny F762? - R & E of REG do not touch at the base. No real idea, just a thought. Richard may be your man.
  19. It's the same kind of tactics you might see when a side fields pretty much a reserve side ahead of a crucial Champions League match. You rest your best players and negate the risk of injury to them. People are never happy, Pete, and will criticise whatever you do. That Di Maria goal from 30 yards for Argentina a few minutes ago - wow !!!
  20. No. He's retired from international football. Indeed, all those names we'd find too hard to handle, and let's not forget that Portugal are still in it, so that list ought to include Ronaldo.
  21. I think we will probably beat Columbia. Southgate will be putting out a full strength side, including our current talisman, Harry Kane. That should be enough to ensure victory. After that the competition will start to get really tough, and I've noticed over the years that English players, even those touted as brilliant, such as the somewhat overrated Wayne Rooney, don't seem too good against the very best sides, who seem to be faster, more accurate passers of the ball, and quicker thinking. So we'll be lucky if we progress further, assuming we do indeed beat Columbia.
  22. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it !!!
  23. Good news indeed. Apparently the army have been called in.
×
×
  • Create New...