Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

1949threepence

Expert Grader
  • Posts

    8,081
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    262

Everything posted by 1949threepence

  1. In the sense that with most of the 1881H's, the H was not dead centre between the two 8's, but distinctly to the left, nearer the first 8? Could it be a recut die?
  2. Ring their general enquiries line on (01443) 222111, and explain the position. They'll let you know whether you can send it or not, and if you can, they'll give you a name. It'll be the Llantrisant address - details here Good luck, Brian and keep us posted.
  3. Not sure what I will go for yet - I'll only be able to afford one, amongst a range of options, and obviously may lose out on that. One thing I did notice is this Freeman 79, which is not vastly different in quality to the one you sold me for £250, Guy. But just look at the difference in amount expected.
  4. Which is a great pity, and why I much prefer, for example, DNW, who do have live bidding via an audio link with the actual live auction. The auctioneer accepting bids from off the internet and in the room. There seem to be far more internet bids than room bids.
  5. On the reverse, definitely. But the obverse? may be toothed, which would make it a mule, and very rare. Phil needs better advice than I can give for cleaning it.
  6. Yes. You'd think they would have some form of effective QA (Quality Assurance) over what had been listed, before it was released to the internet. I'm not usually a hypercritical person, as we all make mistakes, but the sheer quantity on this occasion, really does seem a bit amateurish. Hopefully, LCA will pick up on their errors and rectify.
  7. Schoolboy howler of an error Can't believe they can be this careless.
  8. I think I've been quite lucky, as I've paid nothing extra on the several coins I've bought from the US.
  9. You might have a very long wait.
  10. It's a fascinating subject, and because the environmental atmosphere in which they are kept can vary so much, it often appears that no two coins are alike. Coins "age" in often very different ways - consider for example "streaky" lustre, even toning or patchy toning. Not to mention coins worn down to VF, but still retaining lustre, or uncirculated coins with lustre so subdued, it's practically undetectable. Also, as Bernie quite rightly says, bronze coins do readily retain their lustre.
  11. Indeed, that's more than an edge knock. It's as though somebody's placed the edge in a vice and tightened it.
  12. I'd guess somewhere in that ballpark as well. But I agree with Matt, it looks terrible. Whoever buys it, it'll be for the rarity value only.
  13. Probably a die flaw.
  14. Well we've certainly got nothing to crow about
  15. I might take a chance, yes. Depending on how much I wanted it. Better yet, I might ask them for a pic before I made a bid. Not saying they will necessarily oblige, but if you don't ask, the answer's always no.
  16. @The Coinery Guy, you may be interested in this. If you've not already got the year, it's a 1957 VIP threepence.
  17. Some nice stuff on offer. As it relates to my specialism, highlights have to be the F23 1861 4 + D on a heavy flan, the 1864 F48 with numbers scratched in the obverse field (see Gouby), the practically unique but very poor 1881 F103, a very nice F139 1895 2mm, and a very nice F184, 1918KN - UNC but with the lack of hair detail so characteristic of the WW1 years. link to catalogue
  18. Hadn't realised that the reverse designer was only 15 when he won the public design competition. Fair play to the lad, he's made a damn good job of it.
  19. Fantastic collection of really interesting pics, Stuntman. Thanks for those. With regard to the 1933 penny and the possible verd at 10 o'clock, yes, you may be right. Also, it doesn't exactly look in mint condition either. There are what look to be light carbon spots, one by Britannia's helmet, and the other just under her left elbow, as well as some whitish marks. If somebody said it had circulated for a time, I'd be inclined to believe them. Did you get to keep the pound coin you pressed the button to strike?
  20. That means you've received one every 4 days on average. I've never seen a single specimen. Remarkable !!!
  21. Very interesting and insightful video.
×
×
  • Create New...