Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Peckris

Expert Grader
  • Posts

    9,800
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    53

Everything posted by Peckris

  1. Oooh 50% profit on the face value! Anyone got a hammer?
  2. would you admit to being richard the third Why not? A much admired monarch in his (brief) reign judging from contemporary European accounts. It didn't help that he wasn't on the winning side of the Wars of the Roses, and that Bad Old Henry VII had to legitimise his very shaky grip on power by discrediting his opponents. Hence the Tudor creations of a non-existent hunchback, withered arm, & constant vilification even down to the Tudor-sponsored Shakespeare take on "history". Before anyone says it - yes, he may well have been responsible for the murder of the Princes in the Tower, but dreadful as that was, it was pretty much standard practice in those days - the Tudors did far worse to the descendants of the woman who was more directly "in line" to the throne (can't remember her name now).
  3. He did! Thats a classic comedy. It was - and full of shapely young starlets of the day bursting out of their mini-togas
  4. It's tempting to bid 20p for the coin and probably win the auction. Postage will cost him 46p (new rates from Monday). Having received the coin demand that he sends you the tea-towel because it's in the photo and therefore you assumed it was included. Otherwise you'll leave very negative feedback! Point made, and he's well out of pocket! A bit of fun too Not only that - demand he sends you TWO 20p coins, as there are two shown in the photo
  5. SALOTE - isn't that what Frankie Howerd used to say at the start of "Up Pompeii"?
  6. I've always thought that one of the fun things about collecting was shifting through loads of junk to find a bargain coin that satisfyingly fills a gap LOL Glad you've got the time to waste! When you've got an auction house to haul up yet ANOTHER accumulation in a cardboard box, bags full of worthless low denomination crap, you never want to see another believe me
  7. "You might get other coins rather than the one shown in the picture, but they are all in similar condition." Oh great. You mean I might get a circulated 2009 £1 coin? Gee whiz. Quick quick, let me bid, NOW.
  8. Welcome Uncle Phil (don't ever call yourself "Uncle Vagn" - I'm still recovering from last night's conclusion to "The Killing". Shudder) Good luck in your endeavours! On the subject of cabinets, you may need to be aware that you need a 'non-reactive' type of wood such as mahogany if you intend to make your own. As for getting started, there are two good books published by the Rotographic Press (see banner advert above) which are ideal for newbies : "Collectors Coins GB" with not only all values for English coins from 1797 on, but all kinds of interesting titbits to do with varieties, collecting, etc; and, "Grading British Coins" which shows all the main obverse and reverse types from 1797 mostly in 4 states of preservation. Rob's advice is sound, but I'd say you don't have to settle for UNC only - you can get very many pre-1937 20th Century coins in EF grade, which is almost perfect but only between 1/5 and 1/2 the cost. And scarcer dates / types you'd be settling for Very Fine or even less. As a general rule, the toughest reign is Edward VII, then George V. George VI and pre-decimal Liz II are both reasonably easy.
  9. No, that's a regular 1922. You have to be aware that : 1. The 1927 reverse is extremely rare 2. It's as evident in its own way as the ME obverse is. It's not just a matter of checking 'trident prong to teeth' - the 1927 reverse smacks you in the face.
  10. Two volumes, each covering a different period.
  11. I've got both volumes of North which I picked up at a provincial auction. I don't really want or need 'em. What's the second-hand value of 'em? I picked up North 1 from the Midland and it's immaculate for £10 (it was a bargain) as they go for between £25 & £45 each. Each set, or each volume? Each volume. Wow. The whole lot cost me £22, and included a carrying case with felt trays, plus a Philip II tetradrachm (admittedly with a chunk out of the edge but I've seen more unsightly flaws. That wasn't a bad buy! I'd be quite happy to sell off the North to a forum member at a reduced price, or do a swapsie with a coin.
  12. Tried to follow the link. It turned into an ad. Told me to clean my Mac. I don't have a Mac. I have a Mac It worked for me ok, and the unwanted ad opened as a separate tab which I closed. The pdf is currently downloading at diallup speeds, but thank you in advance Aardhawk. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it.
  13. Yes I would agree. Well there is poor and there is poor. I am happy with a poor coin if the poor value is about £40-50. That'll do nicely thank you. Yes indeed. It's a rare date, and if it fills a slot for you, then that's cool. My 1905 isn't really much to write home about but it fills that "oh I've got one" gap.
  14. I've got both volumes of North which I picked up at a provincial auction. I don't really want or need 'em. What's the second-hand value of 'em? I picked up North 1 from the Midland and it's immaculate for £10 (it was a bargain) as they go for between £25 & £45 each. Each set, or each volume?
  15. "...but only if you're lucky" Apparently! Now here's a chance that must only come up once in every hundred lifetimes.... A roll of 2p coins I bought back in 1973 that seemed to have leaked! Steve, if they all say new pence and the Queen is on them wearing a necklace you should sell them on ebay; "cos sumone telled me that this a RARE coin and is gud for colectors and will be a gud invesment" And don't forget the "...don't loose this opportunity!!"
  16. Are you THE Richard the Second?
  17. Not my cuppa tea I must admit. Bit like bidding for a 2009 Ford Focus with 5 and a half doors.
  18. I've got both volumes of North which I picked up at a provincial auction. I don't really want or need 'em. What's the second-hand value of 'em?
  19. You're selling Thai massages Dave? Must be a nice lil sideline
  20. It's quite telling that the 1903s in F are up for between £200-£300, with no bids, and the one in VF is up at £750, again with no bids.
  21. Either I'm showing my ignorance, or that's a typo for D&M which stands for "Doriens and Magens" shilling, an unissued shilling of George III which is quite rare and highly sought-after. I'm not sure about removing the 'lower end coins'. Obviously the commonest and poorest, yes. But otherwise, where are new collectors - e.g. schoolkids on very low incomes - going to turn when they start out? No low end coins, no schoolkid collectors, no future lifeblood for the hobby.
  22. I love the conjunction of "Bidding has ended on this item" with "0 bids" hang on! could that have been an 1882 no H........................ More like 1882 no Hoper
  23. To be fair, there were precious few (forgive the pun) by then, and only because they hadn't yet been spotted by those who knew what they were. I calculate that I must have found fewer than half a dozen in the entire decade.
  24. That's exactly what I did. The 1920 is a 50% overlay on top of the 1923. You can see from the background where I've rotated the 1920 to get the overlay to match precisely (on the legend). Because the two coins match so perfectly, the only part of the 1920 that shows up is the rim between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.
×
×
  • Create New...